A Palestinian in Malaga



Palestinians have hundreds of layers, upon discovering more of the world these layers slowly start to shed. We feel ourselves changing, healing, metamorphosing. We feel the walls surrounding us slowly crumble. While we are enchanted by our homeland, we enjoy a concept that we are yet to learn, and that is freedom.

To introduce myself, my name is Rand Abdalqader. I am a 20 year old Media and Journalism student in Birzeit University in Palestine, and I will be spending my semester in Malaga.

''Would you rather live here or in Palestine?'' Being bombarded by this question time and time again during my stay got me thinking about my future. What opportunities would I have if I decided to leave my homeland? On one hand, it is the primary source of my frustration and anger. On the other hand, what does the future hold for Palestine, if Palestinians leave?

To further explain the situation, here is an example: Armed Israeli soldiers dressed up as Palestinians, invaded my university in Palestine to arrest the president of the student council Omar Kiswani.

 In malaga, however, Santander Bank refused to open bank accounts for three other Palestinian exchange students and I, simply for being Palestinian.

The answer to the question is that although I can try to leave Palestine, it will never leave me. It is my duty to be a good Palestinian, it is not a choice.

In this blog, I will be trying to help you paint a picture of Palestine, through my eyes.

When I am asked about the situation in Palestine, I am usually given a minute before the person loses interest. But how do I explain the crude reality, in under a minute? How do I explain the contradictions and the malfunctions of my society? How do I explain the occupation? The tears of the mother of a martyr, alongside her zagared and celebrations?

People usually already have their own assumptions about Palestinians, like the color of their skin,and the headscarves of their women. My big, curly hair and piercings challenge this picture. I believe that this is why they see me as an equal, and not as a threat.

To conclude, although it is tempting to escape the harsh reality in Palestine, I would prefer to help my people in any way I can. This will be my tool to do that. Not only will it be a place of news and updates about the situation in Palestine, but it will also be your guide to Palestinian art and culture.

Comments

  1. Really emotive, keep going and fight for your dreams

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Semana Santa

Rome